Thursday, September 8, 2016

Sunny Sunflowers

Hello Everyone,

I am back from a week long Labor Day camping vacation. We had some great family time with lots of marshmallows and laughs and some stories by the fire. But now I am back and hopefully have gotten some mojo back. With that said I am playing along with Inkspirational, AAA CardsThe Card Concept, and Inspired By All The Little Things. Here is my card for today, enjoy!

This is actually a stamp from Peddler's Pack that I stamped and then painted per the challenge
from Inspired by all the Little Things. You will see below how a grid helped me to keep the painting loose and dream-like. 
I wanted to follow the style of painting provided by the inspiration photo.
But I have never tried impressionist painting. So with a little internet research and YouTube
I thought I would drum up the courage to try it. 
The sentiment was done using a mixture of upper and lower case letters.
I thought it would be more fun plus it gets me off the hook if it isn't completely straight. 
I made this picture extra large to show the color variances and texture, both visual and literal of the painting. You can still see some of the grid but I think that is okay because I think it becomes part of the design. It doesn't seem to distract but add to the card.
I can not find the tutorial that shows how to use a grid to create the end result but I think by looking at this you can probably figure out how I did it.
And it just so happened I had the perfect grid stamp to overlay the sunflowers
then start painting squares different shades of yellow. 
Challenges Entered:
Inkspirational: Challenge #116- Primary Colours
Inspired by All The Little Things: Challenge #22- Sunflowers
The Card Concept: #57- The Rainbow Connection
AAA Cards: Game #72- New To You Technique

   

Wow was this fun!! But starting out I thought I could never complete a project in this free form, impression'ish style. Most of the tutorials online I saw the same thing. In the beginning of the process everything looked like a big hot mess. As they progressed however, it started to look..... well..... fantastic. 

With doubts and fears I placed my brush on the paper and started painting; you don't know until you try, right? Well I think this turned out beautifully! Love the mixture of the colors. This was due to the grid painting I did for the first layer and then allowing it to poke through the overlays of paint. It's not Van Gogh, Monet, or Renoir but I am proud to call it mine.

Thank you so much for stopping by my little byte of the internet. I feel refreshed from vacation and happy to be back in Blogland. If you are so inclined, please feel free to leave a comment. Until next time take care and happy crafting.

All the best,
Shawna 

13 comments:

Monika Reeck said...

stunning GRID painting
I never try this
I like the look
looks very proffesional sweety
happy you back from Vacation
see you around
miss you in my Blog
always happy to read your encouragement sweety:)
hugs
Monika

Leigh Penner said...

This is gorgeous! I love the effect of the gold letters overtop, too! Fabulous take on the inspiration photo!

Donna said...

Wow, this is amazing Shawna, it truly looks like a painting,and like a professionally done one. I hope you are going to frame this it is awesome!

Mac Mable said...

Amazing and wow wow wow!!! Such a fabulous idea to start with the grid. Stunning colouring....You could frame this one x

KimCreate said...

Well, ya learn somethin new everyday! I have never seen a technique like this but your card came out beautiful! Really cool layering of the paints! Thanks for joining Inspired by all the little things. Kim

BożenA said...

This card looks amazing. If you are a lifetime to paint oils. Revelation and I love the colors used.
hugs,
BozenA

LauraJane:) said...

I saw this on IG...it's FANTASTIC!! Thanks for playing at Inspired By!!

sandie said...

Amazing painting, this could be framed. Thanks for joining AAA and Ink

cm said...

WOW! You've captured "impressionist painting" beautifully with your stunning sunflowers and grid image! This is a WOW card in every way! So thrilled you shared your artistry in the Inkspirational gallery!
~carol

Kerin Sylvester said...

WOW gorgeous flowers!! I've never heard of grid painting. It worked out for you beautifully!! I'm always happy to hear of others that love camping as much as we do too! Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept this week :)

Monika Reeck said...

see this sweety
http://inspiredbyallthelittlethings.blogspot.de/2016/09/inspiring-standouts-for-inspired-by-22.html
you are top 2 there yaaay
congrats
you are an artist and a talented card maker
I am so proud to know you
and getting your comment makes me scream happpyyy
hehe :)
hugs
Monika

Yvonne Garner said...

Amazing work! Thank you for sharing it with us at Inkspirational!

Maureen said...

wow! This is just amazing! It reminds me so much of a van Gogh...but better! http://buttonsandbling.blogspot.ca/2016/09/glory-to-god.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

(PIN)spirational (76) 4 Crafty Chicks (1) A Day For Daisies (3) AAA Birthday (5) AAA Cards (49) ABC Christmas Challenge (1) Addicted to CAS (41) Addicted to Stamps (2) Addicted to Stamps and More (31) All Dressed Up Challenge (1) Allsorts Challenge (4) Alphabet Challenge (2) Always Playing with Paper (11) Animal Friends Challenge (3) As You See It (11) Brown Sugar Challenge (12) CanYouCaseIt Challenge (1) Cards in Envy (21) Cardz4Galz (2) Cardz4Guys (12) CAS Colours & Sketches (26) CAS Mix Up (1) CAS on Fridays (7) CAS on Sunday (5) CAS Stencil Challenge (1) CAS Watercolour Card Challenge (12) CAS-ology (54) CAS-ual Fridays (4) CAS(E) this Sketch (90) CASEing Christmas (1) casology (1) Challenge Up Your Life (6) Christmas Card Challenge Blog (2) Christmas Card Throwdown (1) City Crafter Challenge Blog (37) Color Hues (8) Color INKspiration (2) Color My Heart Color Dare (41) Colour Q (26) Come and Get It Challenge (3) Craft Stamper Challenge (2) Crafty Cardmakers (2) Crafty Creations (1) Crafty Gals Corner (10) Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge (1) Create with Connie and Mary (8) Creative Inspirations (2) Creative Knockouts (5) Creative with Stamps (46) Cupcake Inspirations (28) Curtain Call (18) Daisy Chain Challenges (2) Daring Cardmakers (2) Day of the Month Card Club (4) Design Team (294) Double D Challenges (42) DRS Designs (4) Fab Friday (5) Fab n' Funky (2) Fantasy Stampers (1) Festive Friday (2) Freshly Made Sketches (125) Friday MashUp! (3) Fusion (33) Gina K. Designs (1) Global Design Project (2) Guest Designer (42) Hand Stamped Sentiments (18) Happy Little Stamper- Anything Goes with Dies (1) Happy Little Stamper- CAS (3) Happy Little Stamper- Christmas (4) Happy Little Stamper- Mixed Media (1) Happy Little Stamper- Sketch (1) HLS Christmas Challenge (1) Holly Jolly Christmas (1) House of Cards (49) If You Give a Crafter a Cookie (6) IN(K)SPIRE_me (5) Inkspirational (50) Inspire.Create.Challenge (1) Inspired by All The Little Things (10) Inspired By... (11) Jingle Bells (1) Joy of Sets Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge (1) Just Add Ink (14) Just Us Girls (58) Less is More (23) Let's Squash It! (1) Little Tangles Challenge (4) Make It Monday (2) Make My Monday (61) MarkerPOP! (1) Match this Sketch (1) Merry Monday Challenge Blog (2) MHK Designs (114) Miscellaneous (3) Mix It Up (1) Mod Squad Challenge (12) MoJo Monday (1) My Time to Craft! (6) Naughty or Nice Challenge (3) NBUS (7) One Layer Christmas Card Challenge (2) Paper Craft Crew Challenges (7) Paper Pals Arts (2) Papercraft Challenge (4) Pattie's Creations Design (3) Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges (1) PolkaDoodles Challenge (1) Rainbow Card Challenge (6) Retro Rubber Challenge (21) Retro Sketches (4) Rubber Dance Blog (1) Runway Inspired Challenge (2) Seize the Birthday (9) Sentimental Sundays (1) SheepSki Designs (1) shopping (1) Shopping Our Stash (15) Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (5) Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (6) Simon Says Stamp Work it Wednesday Challenge (1) Sister Act (1) Sketch Saturday (13) Society of Stampholics (3) Sparkle and Shine (3) SSS Wednesday (10) Stampin' Royalty (2) Stamping Sensations (7) StampInkPaper (5) STAMPlorations-Theme & Sketch (3) StampPeddler (26) Sunday Stamps (48) Sweet Stampin (4) Technique Tuesday (1) TGIF Challenges (3) The Card Concept (36) The Challenge (4) The Color Throwdown (119) The Crafty Addicts (1) The Flower Challenge (15) The House That Stamps Built (1) The Library Challenge (4) The Male Room (89) The Merry Christmas Challenge (2) The Paper Craft Crew (1) The Paper Players (120) The Sisterhood of Crafters (2) Tic Tac Toe Challenge (4) Time Out Challenge (25) Try Stamping on Tuesday (2) Tuesday Morning Sketches (1) Tuesday Throwdown (11) tutorial (1) Twofer Challenge (14) Virginia's View Challenge (5) Waffle Flower (1) Watercooler Wednesday Challenge (12) Wednesdays Creative Inspirations (4) Weekly Christmas Challenge (1) Your Next Step (1)