Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Shoes

Hello Friends,

Well, more awesome news at TheGrandStampede. I have been asked by the talented gals at Just Us Girls to be their guest designer for the month of January!! What fun and am so excited to work with this seriously talented group of cardmakers. So without further ado, here is my card for today, enjoy...


There is nothing like a new pair of comfortable shoes to make a girl happy.
For you, it might be a cozy pair of slippers or a stylish pair of heels.
For me, it would be a great pair of everyday slip-on shoes with a pair of brand new socks.
______________________________________

Just Us Girls
with Ina 
Challenge #375
________________________________________

I wish I could say the blue ombre was done with my hand and skill.
But, I cannot tell a lie, it was done using photo-editing software.
Very easy to do and has a fantastic effect. 

I really enjoy the fonts in this sentiment. The words that needed emphasis
are a beautiful script. The more blocky font seems to be a
perfect compliment to its script partner.
While getting my weekly dose of card tutorials on YouTube I came across a rather interesting video. It was discussion regarding Polychromos versus wax-based pencils.  The artist taking the video gave all her wax-based pencils away and swore to never go back when she discovered polychromo pencils. Apparently, they blend better and are a better quality pencil then its wax based counterpart. I was intrigued and decided to see for myself, so I ordered a set of my own. And this card is my first attempt with polychromos. 

So what did I think? I agree they are much smoother and they don't leave a residue like wax based pencils. They do blend beautifully and seem to need a less effort to do so. But the saturation of color seems to be its main difference. Wax based pencils seem to give its true color much sooner than polychromos. So my consensus, I like them both for different reasons. Each type of pencil is unique and wonderful in its own way. Kind of like my kids- which by the way out of the blue my son asks me: 'Mom, seriously tell me the truth, Who do you like better me or my sister?'.  I answered with pure laughter and a responded 'I love you both for different and unique reasons.' and that was that!

So which pencil do you prefer, and why? I would really enjoy your thoughts on this topic. If you are a beginner or a pro I would really like to hear what you have to say...

Well, that should do it for me. If you are visiting from Just Us Girls thank you for popping in and seeing some of my work. All the other followers and visitors thank you too. I do appreciate every visit. We will see you next week with another challenge from Just Us Girls. Until then, take care and happy crafting.

All the best,
Shawna 

10 comments:

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Welcome Shawna! What a fun card for your first challenge with us at JUGS as our Guest Designer! I love those adorable shoes and that sentiment is oh so true. Beautiful coloring on this. So glad to have you with us this month.

Chris Dring said...

What a fabulous card to start out your Guest Designer gig at Just Us Girls! Love those stylish shoes and that sentiment is awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you create with us!

Bobby said...

Welcome to JUGS, Shawna. It's great to have you designing with us. Your shoes are beautifully colored and if this is what Polychromos do then I think you have a winner. I didn't know much about colored pencils and opted for Inktense Pencils when I purchased some and I love their vibrancy and watercolor attribute. Which proves your point - different pencils for different looks.

Petra Swart said...

Wishing you a very, very happy 2017, my friend!!! So lovely visiting you blog again!!! Congrats on the GD spot, Shawna!!!! New shoes ...what a treat, but no high heels for me at my age - I used to love them in my young days, but not anymore!!!! ...and don't let anyone tell you that they aren't uncomfortable!!!! - they are, and your feet are aching after spending a whole day in high heels!!!!! LOL!!!!!! But I do love your card, my friend!!!! ...and the sentiment is so true, hey!!!! Such a fun card and I love the great effect you got with the blue!!!!
Colouring pencils ...all I've got are the old fashioned ones we used in primary school!!!! LOL!!!! No way I will be able to find any of the fancy stuff over here - have never heard of the ones you talking about!!! I have enjoyed colouring since I was a little girl and I can imagine how much fun it must be doing it with proper pencils!!!! So relaxing, hey!!!!
Have a great weekend, Shawna!!!!!
Hugz

Monika Reeck said...

Dear Shawna
I have got your cute christmas card with so many dots on a Tree
it is so great colored the dots I love it much and stay in front of me now...
Shawna sorry my card come late...
you will get it soo..
and I miss your visit only hope you are healthy and have a great year...
I never seen you since 2 month on my blog hmmmm all ok with you Shawna?
Hope kids and hubby all is healthy and okay...

now about your card
I love making shoe card
but Shawna with shoe card hmmm I just look for the first time and you did GREAT!!!
may I ask which company is this stamp image Shawna..maybe I can buy it if they sell in Germany too
and the gradation of ombre from computer looks so real Shawna I only can say WOOOWW
and about pencil I am sorry I am not a fan of pencil I only have Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolor, Akashiya SAI watercolor and Peerlees Transparent water color and a bit copic hehe...
Shawna I know I write a Novel but I never forget you and always love your cards hope to see you really soon my sweet friend
hugs hugs
Monika

Nancy said...

Hi Shawna! I had to kinda chuckle when I read your post about your new pencils. I was coloring my image this week for JUGS using polychromes as well and I wasn't sure if I liked them or not. I have the traditional Prisma Colored pencils and find that I can shade better with them. I find the poly ones are to soft. My two cents. However, those shoes looks fabulous so I think they worked perfectly for you! You are very very talented and we are lucky to have you this month!

Judy Woodland said...

So happy to have you this month as our guest designer, and welcome!!! Can't wait to see what you have for us every week. This week's card is gorgeous!!! I LOVE your colors, and your coloring. I adore my Prismas and have never tried Polychromos, but you have intrigued me. I might have to check into them. I am so partial to coloring.

Ina G said...

Love those bright beautifully coloured shoes Shawna. Perfect font to boot or should I say shoe? lol Welcome to JUGS. I too look forward to seeing more fabulous creations from you this month. So happy to have you join us.

Lisa Kind said...

So glad to have you guesting at JUGs this month! I love your card! Shoes have always been my "thing", however I find the older I get the lower the heel! I wear them occasionally, but not everyday like I used to! Great take on the challenge...love the sentiment!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Welcome aboard! I LOVE the fun coloring of these shoes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

(PIN)spirational (76) 4 Crafty Chicks (1) A Day For Daisies (3) AAA Birthday (5) AAA Cards (49) ABC Christmas Challenge (1) Addicted to CAS (41) Addicted to Stamps (2) Addicted to Stamps and More (31) All Dressed Up Challenge (1) Allsorts Challenge (4) Alphabet Challenge (2) Always Playing with Paper (11) Animal Friends Challenge (3) As You See It (11) Brown Sugar Challenge (12) CanYouCaseIt Challenge (1) Cards in Envy (21) Cardz4Galz (2) Cardz4Guys (12) CAS Colours & Sketches (26) CAS Mix Up (1) CAS on Fridays (7) CAS on Sunday (5) CAS Stencil Challenge (1) CAS Watercolour Card Challenge (12) CAS-ology (54) CAS-ual Fridays (4) CAS(E) this Sketch (90) CASEing Christmas (1) casology (1) Challenge Up Your Life (6) Christmas Card Challenge Blog (2) Christmas Card Throwdown (1) City Crafter Challenge Blog (37) Color Hues (8) Color INKspiration (2) Color My Heart Color Dare (41) Colour Q (26) Come and Get It Challenge (3) Craft Stamper Challenge (2) Crafty Cardmakers (2) Crafty Creations (1) Crafty Gals Corner (10) Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge (1) Create with Connie and Mary (8) Creative Inspirations (2) Creative Knockouts (5) Creative with Stamps (46) Cupcake Inspirations (28) Curtain Call (18) Daisy Chain Challenges (2) Daring Cardmakers (2) Day of the Month Card Club (4) Design Team (294) Double D Challenges (42) DRS Designs (4) Fab Friday (5) Fab n' Funky (2) Fantasy Stampers (1) Festive Friday (2) Freshly Made Sketches (125) Friday MashUp! (3) Fusion (33) Gina K. Designs (1) Global Design Project (2) Guest Designer (42) Hand Stamped Sentiments (18) Happy Little Stamper- Anything Goes with Dies (1) Happy Little Stamper- CAS (3) Happy Little Stamper- Christmas (4) Happy Little Stamper- Mixed Media (1) Happy Little Stamper- Sketch (1) HLS Christmas Challenge (1) Holly Jolly Christmas (1) House of Cards (49) If You Give a Crafter a Cookie (6) IN(K)SPIRE_me (5) Inkspirational (50) Inspire.Create.Challenge (1) Inspired by All The Little Things (10) Inspired By... (11) Jingle Bells (1) Joy of Sets Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge (1) Just Add Ink (14) Just Us Girls (58) Less is More (23) Let's Squash It! (1) Little Tangles Challenge (4) Make It Monday (2) Make My Monday (61) MarkerPOP! (1) Match this Sketch (1) Merry Monday Challenge Blog (2) MHK Designs (114) Miscellaneous (3) Mix It Up (1) Mod Squad Challenge (12) MoJo Monday (1) My Time to Craft! (6) Naughty or Nice Challenge (3) NBUS (7) One Layer Christmas Card Challenge (2) Paper Craft Crew Challenges (7) Paper Pals Arts (2) Papercraft Challenge (4) Pattie's Creations Design (3) Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges (1) PolkaDoodles Challenge (1) Rainbow Card Challenge (6) Retro Rubber Challenge (21) Retro Sketches (4) Rubber Dance Blog (1) Runway Inspired Challenge (2) Seize the Birthday (9) Sentimental Sundays (1) SheepSki Designs (1) shopping (1) Shopping Our Stash (15) Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (5) Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (6) Simon Says Stamp Work it Wednesday Challenge (1) Sister Act (1) Sketch Saturday (13) Society of Stampholics (3) Sparkle and Shine (3) SSS Wednesday (10) Stampin' Royalty (2) Stamping Sensations (7) StampInkPaper (5) STAMPlorations-Theme & Sketch (3) StampPeddler (26) Sunday Stamps (48) Sweet Stampin (4) Technique Tuesday (1) TGIF Challenges (3) The Card Concept (36) The Challenge (4) The Color Throwdown (119) The Crafty Addicts (1) The Flower Challenge (15) The House That Stamps Built (1) The Library Challenge (4) The Male Room (89) The Merry Christmas Challenge (2) The Paper Craft Crew (1) The Paper Players (120) The Sisterhood of Crafters (2) Tic Tac Toe Challenge (4) Time Out Challenge (25) Try Stamping on Tuesday (2) Tuesday Morning Sketches (1) Tuesday Throwdown (11) tutorial (1) Twofer Challenge (14) Virginia's View Challenge (5) Waffle Flower (1) Watercooler Wednesday Challenge (12) Wednesdays Creative Inspirations (4) Weekly Christmas Challenge (1) Your Next Step (1)